Thursday 4 January 2018

Larry Williams clashes with Murray Deaker (Jan. 31, 2003)

Some people around here seem to think I make my transcripts up. I don’t. Often, however, they are not verbatim, but hurried transcripts taken down in longhand as I listen to the source of the inanity, whether it be radio or television. Occasionally, though, I’ll transcribe the whole thing. Here’s a real transcript, laboriously taken from an audiotape…
Larry Williams clashes with Murray Deaker
Larry Williams Drive, NewstalkZB, Friday 4 February 2003
Friday afternoon’s little stoush live on air was not the first time these two have brawled like this. On the day of the launch of the Blackguard organisation just five or so months ago, Williams got a sheepish, evasive Deaker to admit that he’d been at the launch of the super-patriotic organisation. “You’re PATHETIC!” snarled Williams. An indignant Deaker wasn’t going to stand for such insolence: “Larry, you never READ anything, you have no idea of what you’re talking about!” he bellowed, and they proceeded to yell at each other for at least three minutes. Later, on his 7 o’clock show, a still upset Deaker played the tape again, presumably to show what a bastard Larry Williams was.
By the next day, the two pilgarlics had kissed and made up and Deaker was smothering Williams with his legendary flattery: “Larry, THAT is why YOU are the best in the business,” he cooed after Williams had made an unremarkable comment about another matter. But that was then and this is now. Last Friday afternoon, Russell Coutts and Brad Butterworth, the targets of the Blackguard vilification campaign, broke their silence, revealing that it was mainly the shoddy and vacillating management of the trustees that forced them to leave Team New Zealand three years ago. Support for the Alinghi sailors by listeners was swift, indicating widespread suspicion and resentment of the Blackguard organisation and, in particular, of its most strident mouthpiece, Murray Deaker. We present herewith a selection from the last half hour of the Larry Williams show of Friday 31 January….
5:32 p.m.
LARRY WILLIAMS: I have been involved with Russell and Brad and there’s plenty more there than they released today – that’s all I’m going to say… you’ve just heard jim Farmer QC; you’d have to be a MONKEY, an IDIOT to accept on those terms…
5:32 p.m.                                                                                                                                    
MICHAEL LAWS: [commenting on the failure of TVNZ to show the TV interview from Swiss TV which proves that Team NZ and Blackheart were always very close, and never independent] This should be Broadcasting Authority stuff… Gee, the Americas Cup is a nasty piece of work. I’ve never come across a sport that is so much about lawyers, vindictiveness, money and nastiness.
5:45 p.m.
[A Blackguard supporter rings in to sling off at Coutts and Butterworth…]
WILLIAMS: You’re PATHETIC!

…………………………

CALLER TIM: I’m sick of hearing certain commentators, who look like Kojak, shooting from the mouth – or screaming from the mouth – and I’ve said all along we’ve never heard the other side of this.
WILLIAMS: Well we haven’t heard the other side because they haven’t been allowed to tell the other side and yet you must know – let this be clear – they didn’t actually want to TELL the other side. They NEVER wanted to say anything. They just wanted to go at the time and get out and do what they do best, which is sailing boats. Look it has to be pointed out it was Team New Zealand who wanted this kept secret. Now I must also point out that we’re not talking about Team New Zealand TODAY, really – we’re talking about Team New Zealand the old trustees, although the new trustees wanted this kept silent. But in the main, we are talking about Coutts and Butterworth’s negotiations with the OLD – let me emphasise that, the OLD – Team New Zealand trustees, not the ones we’ve got now.
CALLER TIM: Yes I understood that from what you said earlier. I’m just surprised people kept on slaying them when they were silent and you – I understood there must have been reasons why they weren’t speaking and you don’t, if you’re fair, have a go at someone unless you’ve heard the other side.
WILLIAMS: Well, we’ve also got to understand that there will be a lot of people who won’t have a bar of this, they will not believe this, they will NOT want to know, because they’re bigoted. But thanks for your call. Hello, Scott.
SCOTT: Congratulations! I’d just like to add to what the other person put through to you. We had our doubts, and we’re keen yachties down here in Christchurch – but where does Murray Deaker stand on all this? I notice that he’s been perpetuated [sic!] by his silence. What’s going on?
WILLIAMS: Well now, hold on, hold on! To be fair to Murray, he’s been on a week’s leave and frankly I don’t – lookm I don’t care WHAT Murray thinks. Murray’s had – Murray has taken his course and I respect what he’s had to say, I don’t believe a WORD of it but I respect his right to have an opinion.
SCOTT: Fair enough.
WILLIAMS: But what he thinks about it now, I don’t know. Doesn’t worry me, frankly.
SCOTT: Hey, thank you for that.
WILLIAMS: Thanks for your call…. I should point out I’ve only mentioned part of the release and as I said before there is a lot of – no, I’m not going to tease you, we’ll go to a break.
[ADVERTISING BREAK….]

5:56 p.m.

WILLIAMS: Now Murray Deaker is – has called in. I’ve got two minutes Deaks. What’s your main points?
DEAKER: Well, firstly, I’ve been on holiday so I take exception to that chap’s reference that I’m gutless. Huh! That is ONE thing that I’m not!
WILLIAMS: But hold on, I clarified that, so –
DEAKER: The second point that I’d make is this – that you say, and you led Tom – um, the chap Farmer to say that it was an impossible situation –
WILLIAMS: Yup.
DEAKER: Larry, it CAN’T have been impossible. Tom Schnackenburg took on the role WITH THOSE CONDITIONS –
WILLIAMS: No he did NOT!
DEAKER: He did.
WILLIAMS: You are talking ABSOLUTE – you are talking –
DEAKER: He stayed there and –
WILLIAMS: Murray… MURRAY! YOU ARE TALKING CRAP! He did NOT stay there –
DEAKER: He stayed there Larry –
WILLIAMS: Murray! Murray! He did NOT stay there on the same conditions –
DEAKER: He stayed there Larry under the same conditions. And they got them changed didn’t they.
WILLIAMS: Whaddya mean – when Coutts and Butterworth announced –
DEAKER: No, no, they worked those conditions to get them changed because there are two – there are three other people who stayed there as well –
WILLIAMS: He did NOT stay –
DEAKER: Reiseley, who was appointed by Coutts and Butterworth –
WILLIAMS: YOU SEE, YOU DON’T WANT TO LISTEN TO ME. Can… Can I tell you what – have you – have you read the press release? Do you know what a –
DEAKER: Yes, I’ve read the press release.
WILLIAMS: He did not stay under the trust that was offered to Coutts and Butterworth. The trust was changed and it took TWO HOURS for that trust to be changed, when the new trust went to the old trust and said: hand it over under these conditions otherwise we’re outa here. THAT’s what happened. So STOP trying to move the story around, Murray!
DEAKER: But the point is that Schnackenburg stayed. The other guys could have stayed as well Larry and you know that.
WILLIAMS: Well look –
DEAKER: They could have worked it ---
WILLIAMS: Hey! –
DEAKER: SURE they were completely frustrated –
WILLIAMS: Hey! –
DEAKER: – and that comes through in their release as well.
WILLIAMS: Hey!!! MURRAY!!! They could NOT have stayed under the deal that was offered –
DEAKER: The guys that they had appointed as trustees, namely Norris and, ah, Reiseley and Menzies who you’ve not interviewed yet, and those are the guys that I’ll have on my program tomorrow.
WILLIAMS: Yeah, GOOD… yeah, GOOD, well I –
DEAKER: Because you NEED to get some balance into this.
WILLIAMS: Absolutely. Hey, just like –
DEAKER: You sounded like a P.R. agent for Alinghi mate.
WILLIAMS: Yeah well I learned that off you with your sycophantic interview with Dave Walden the other day. I’ve gotta go, and I respect your opinion even if you’re wrong. Thanks for your call. It’s now, ah, three to six o’clock here at Newstalk ZB…

[TRANSCRIBED BY WALLIE INGRAM FOR RADIO TRANSCRIPTS LTD, A DIVISION OF DAISYCUTTER SPORTS INC.]

No comments:

Post a Comment